Mold not only causes damage to your home, but also can make you and your family sick. Most common ailments are allergies and asthma, but, if mold grows too much, it can cause other problems even as severe as cancer. An obvious cause of mold is flood damage, but many homeowners are unaware of the slow build up of mold due to even small leaks. Once you do have damage, it can be very expensive to fix, so it is important to do a few simple steps to help prevent before it gets too damaging.
Mold is defined as: "one type of fungus, is different from plants, animals and bacteria. Molds are eukaryotic micro-organisms that are decomposers of dead organic material such as leaves, wood and plants. The spores and hair-like bodies of individual mold colonies are too small for us to see without a microscope. When a lot of mold is growing on a surface, it often appears black, blue or green. The color of the mold is determined by the type and is influenced by the nutrient source, surface substrate and the age of the colony."
In order to grow, mold needs water, a food source (such as wood, paper or other organic materials), oxygen and temperatures between 40 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
How can you prevent mold? Keep you house clean and dry. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation and your bathroom and kitchen are clean and areas around the sinks are wiped down. Avoid humidifiers if possible and make sure there isn't excess water in your washer or dryer. For front loading washers, it is recommended to keep the door open to avoid dampness. Also try to secure leaks that may occur in pipes, window wells or on the roof. Mold doesn't start to grow until 24-48 hours after, so if you can get everything dry before that, you have a good chance of avoiding mold growth.
When addressing how to clean up mold, it is important to first figure out the source of the mold and how big of a problem it is. If it isn't too large of a problem, simple household cleaners can do the trick. If, however, it spans over a large surface area greater than 10 square feet and you can see discoloration or smell an odor, you want to visit the Certified Mold Inspectors & Contractors Institute.
For more information on mold, how to get rid of it and what health concerns can arise, visit Intuitive Environmental Solutions, LLC.
I am a real estate professional, serving Boulder and Denver, Colorado. My extensive knowledge of the market, coupled with my commitment to provide extraordinary service, has resulted in hundreds of successful transactions. Let me help you buy or sell your home.